3/21/2011

Here's what I am reading...

After listening to Christopher Paul Curtis speak last weekend, I realized that I had not read the Newbury Award Winning book  Bud, Not Buddy.  I am just about finished with it and I can say it is a great read. I hope you will come and check out a copy.



This book describes the troubles and adventures of a 10-year-old African-American orphan in Depression-era Michigan. Bud, not Buddy, is fed up with the cruel treatment he has received at various foster homes, and after being locked up for the night in a shed with a swarm of angry hornets, he decides to run away. His goal: to reach the man he believes to be his father, jazz musician Herman E. Calloway.

While the grim conditions of the times and the harshness of Bud's circumstances are authentically depicted, Curtis shines on them an aura of hope and optimism.